I took Seamus to the eye specialist for a check up on Friday. Sadly, it looks like the tumor on his eye is growing; the surgery did not get it all. The tumor is not growing rapidly and Seamus is not in any pain or even discomfort, so at this point we are on a “wait and see” basis. Eventually, the choice will be to try the laser surgery again (but it is doubtful it will help) or have the eye removed. The cancer is not life threatening, but needless to same I’m not thrilled about either of the options. Right now, he gets eye drops three to four times a day (and he’s such a good patient about receiving these). And of course he’s getting lots and lots of love (as always). As long as he’s not in any pain or discomfort, we don’t need to make any decisions. As as always, I’m going to research eye melanomas in dogs and learn what I can. The vet assures me dogs adjust very quickly and just fine to losing one eye. My dad had a dog once that lost an eye and she certainly seemed fine. It just worries me because of course, they can’t tell us what they’re feeling, so how do we ever know?
In case I haven’t mentioned this lately, I hate cancer.
P.S. if you missed my original post about Seamus’s diagnosis, it’s here: eye melanoma